Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wed October 5.

I had so much energy yesterday and was able to extend my normal bedtime from 9PM to almost 2 AM. Psychiatrists might say that I am demonstrating a "manic defense." Rather than getting bummed out at reality, the opposite emotion kicks in--a sense of elation. No more waiting around for many years waiting for the hammer to fall (in the words of Freddie Mercury).My current elevated mood would probably fall under Kubler_Ross's denial category. Anyway, I'm loving the energy.

In May, Brian convinced me to begin to lose weight. I'm embarrassed to say where I started but an inmate asked me last year if I were 300lbs. I told him "No, but I'm working on it."

So, after talking to Mr. Brian I pretty much stopped eating empty carbohydrates, increased my salads and vegetables, decreased my enormous consumption of our wonderful Valencia oranges, and started to gradually lose weight. Because of my gout symptoms, it wasn't possible to get in much aerobic activity to speed the process. Nevertheless, my weight kept creeping down but oh so slowly. Then I made the mistake of asking my higher power for more help in shedding pounds. Boy was I surprised to receive a tumor in answer to my prayers. In all fairness to the Man, it is a very effective reducing regimen...requires absolutely no will power, a commodity I possess in very short supply.

My appetite is funny. I'm seldom hungry, but then when I see the wonderful food Jasmine makes, I'll want some but not a lot. I'm really enjoying the watermelons and cantaloupes from our California central valley.

Today was about scheduling stuff. I have to get a local MRI of the brain. Stanford did not call my insurance company when ordering it. I made several calls there and to the local imaging center. I ended up calling the insurance company myself and the authorization manager was very helpful. Finally it got squared away and I will get it done Friday afternoon.

My jaw dropped open when the Republican nudnicks mentioned "not having some bureaucrat decide whether or not you get a test that your doctor ordered." What the f*** do they think is happening now...the for profit insurance companies have been in the forefront of figuring out how to avoid paying for services. Medicare spends less than 3% on bureaucratic overhead like answering the phone and sending checks. (They should spend 4% and make it easier for people to reach them.) The private insurers are raking more than 20% off the top. My friend Jamie Kopper put it best..."Eric, I am so tired of calling insurance companies to beg them to do the right thing."

After a morning of calls, I went to the hospital for lung function studies at about noon. It took about an hour. The technician, Pat, was great. I am bringing up a lot of sputum and she was so patient and helpful. She is a cyclist and is about to go to Portugal for two weeks of touring.

I was so super polite to everyone today and even offered to help an old lady...must be the bargaining stage!

I managed to find an accountant..Polly Sackrider.  Oddly enough, her father was born on Tilghman's Island and she had lived in St. Michaels. Her dad is in his 80s and living and still sailing in San Diego. I told her that she could tell him that one of her clients was the last permanent doctor on Smith Island. Polly will help me get my taxes in order, finalize the close of my medical practice, and assist with moving around our Las Vegas Albatross properties so that we pay less taxes.

Since Jasmine and I have been together, I have done the taxes. I need to get everything in order so that these are not a burden in the future. Jasmine never stops working. She works full time. She cooks most meals, keeps the place clean...you know how she is about her kitchen.

The next place on my list was the local mortuary to get the scoop so to speak. I met Adrian there and we had a pleasant conversation about the difficulties in quitting smoking. I referred her on to my primary care doctor, Garry Kolb in Morro Bay...a pretty amazing 69 year old who bicycles to and from Harmony three times a week and does twice that mileage on Saturday.

One of the most loving things that Jasmine's father did for his family was to make all of his funeral arrangements when he was 81. Things were much cheaper at that time than when he finally needed those services fifteen years later. At the time of his death, his family opened up a little book that included a map and directions to the cemetery...all done 15 years prior...how thoughtful. I need to make my arrangements and hope that I won't need them for several years as well.

On Monday, I go back to Stanford with Jasmine for the PET chest CT. On Tuesday, I see an attorney in the A.M. and the local oncologist in the afternoon. The attorney will handle some things that we should have attended to a few years ago. The oncologist is the local doctor who will provide whatever services that can be done here rather than at Stanford.

I'm home now looking at the glare of the sun off the Pacific...Archie is stretched out on a sunny spot on the rug and I'm drinking a cup of coffee made from beans I roasted on Sunday.  Life is good today....I was interrupted by a call from Rich Fisher, my friend from medical school and internship. Together we were able to lament the state of American medicine and the piling on of regulations. He said that it took about an hour to fill out "a discharge book" on one of his patients at the hospital. Paperwork burdens that do nothing about providing face-to-face care and contact.

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of the story Kurt Vonnegut told about his Uncle Alex:

    He was my father’s kid brother, a childless graduate of Harvard who was an honest life insurance salesman in Indianapolis. He was well-read and wise. And his principal complaint about other human beings was that they so seldom noticed it when they were happy. So when we were drinking lemonade under an apple tree in the summer, say, and talking lazily about this and that, almost buzzing like honeybees, Uncle Alex would suddenly interrupt the agreeable blather to exclaim, "If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is." So I do the same now, and so do my kids and grandkids. And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, "If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

    -----

    This thought occurs to me a lot and it often is when I'm watching a cat or dog sleeping stretched out in a sunny spot. Of course, a good cup of coffee helps, too (and we have plenty of that, thanks to you).
    Anyway, thanks for the update! I just wanted you to know that we are thinking about you and we are very much looking forward to visiting you and Jasmine soon . . . and perhaps curling up in a sunny spot next to Archie (yet a reasonably safe distance from Peace).

    ReplyDelete