Wednesday, October 12, 2011

An Important Questions Trumps All

The answer is all depends. Will reveal the question in a few moments.

************
Medical Alert  *
************

The good news is that the brain looks uninvolved. That means that I may be able to keep an accurate, bird's eye view of the rest of the processes.

The PET/CT scan show tumor pretty much filling the left upper lobe of the lung extending from the chest wall to the great vessels at the roots of the lung. It also showed the absence of part of a lumbar vertebrae, probably the result of tumor. This is stage 4. The type is Non-Small Cell. The tumor is too large for radiation in the chest although radiation to the metastasis in the spine may be helpful for pain relief and to prevent fracture which might make it very hard to enjoy remaining time.

The local oncologist was extremely helpful yesterday. He wrote a couple of prescriptions that made my last 24 hours much more comfortable.

He said my prognosis is estimated at a 25% chance of living one year.

So...the question is

WILL HE MAKE IT TO THE SUPER BOWL BEFORE THE REDSKINS?

I'm betting I will....

This is Jasmine and I this morning as we left an awful motel room for the hospital for bronchoscopy. Notice that my belly is managing to resist the ravages of this pansy ass disease!

While not the full football uniform, it was a used mock-up from Under Armor.

The OR staff was really sharp. There was an hour delay because in a previous case, possible tuberculosis had been unexpectedly encountered and that person was placed in isolation in an operating room until arrangements for safe transport could be made. In the above picture, I am contemplating a similar finding in my own case and awakening in that operating alongside the TB patient. Not to be.

It was a longish trip home. I napped for the first couple of hours. We stopped and I had a banana milkshake and pancakes that tasted awfully good.  I will no longer be a stickler for nutritional self-awareness. I have also decided to forego my scheduled colonoscopy for early colorectal cancer detection.

One of the benefits of this trip has been to find someone who can care for Archie without him totally decompensating. He was jumping around and wagging his tail to see us at the dog-care place in Paso Robles. Of course by the time he arrived home he was the wounded martyr, Walking ever so slowly as if each step was torture. Mama Jasmine combed him out and removed a couple of fleas...one of the consequences of boarding animals and using pet friendly hotels as I did on my recent shortened trip to the east.

No comments:

Post a Comment