Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Local Oncologist, David Palchak, M.D.   WED OCT 19

Today Jasmine and I went for my scheduled visit to Dr. Palchak. He is a local oncologist. 

Yesterday, Stanford offered me a clinical trial of chemotherapy as I described in yesterday's post. I am asking Dr. Palchak to manage difficulties that will arise here in the community and to spare me, if possible, as many back and forth trips of 400 miles to Stanford.

Dr. Palchak looked at the information from Stanford and told me that it was a good opportunity for me. Then he gave me a physical examination. I had two such exams at Stanford yesterday. I am also a physician and a reasonably good judge of the completeness of examination. Dr. Palchak demonstrated to me that I had a mild peripheral neuropathy (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_neuropathy ) that was affecting my balance to some degree. He explained it was important to know about it because of the toxicity of some of the drugs that I will be taking--that these can cause peripheral neuropathies as well. I was impressed that David Palchak found the neuropathy in his physical examination and it had not been detected the prior day at the University teaching program. I have a lot of data that convinces me that I'm going to the right doctor.

So, I'm getting ready to start chemotherapy next week. I'm hoping for Wednesday as my first infusion day with my second choice as Friday. Infusions will be scheduled three weeks apart.

I'm happily anticipating the visits from my sons, Brian and Keith, and brother, Dana, tomorrow. They'll be flying in to Oakland and driving down to Morro Bay.

I've been mentally organizing  memories of elementary school childhood, much of which was dominated by the conflict between my parents. I'd like to do my best to portray their lives as individuals for my family's knowledge. Both of them were committed to the education of their children--and they pushed me toward a profession at an early age.

Finally, over several weeks, I'd like to recount my medical career of more than forty years. If I had to say one thing based upon my experiences, it would be that people are remarkable. 

It has been very soothing and comforting to be in touch with so many of my friends from various periods of my life. A lot of very nice energy has been flowing my way.  I am beginning to wrap my arms around my life and to re-experience some of its joy.

Tumors not only provide an effective means for weight loss, they are a sure cure for boredom!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Eric,
    I miss my husband, but I am happy that he is visiting you! Please give him a hug from me :)
    Ana Lorena

    ReplyDelete